Wednesday 31 August 2011

Dim Sum Finally!!! Golden Pagoda Style

So after the mis-start of greasy loveliness last weekend, I finally made it to my favourite Dim Sum place - The Golden Pagoda in Chinatown. I was introducing my friend Hannah to its delights, before we embarked on a crazy suicide mission - shopping on a Saturday afternoon in OXFORD CIRCUS!



Dim Sum is actually a Cantonese term for 'snack', and that is what they are - little snacks! So perfect for lunch, and with the exception of one restaurant I have yet to find a place that serves Dim Sum past 5pm - The Golden Pagoda doesn't.

Now - if you are wanting nice friendly service with a smile - you are in the wrong place.

If you want awesome cheap food of greatness then -yeah! - you have come to the right place sirs and madams.



This restaurant has three floors - I am usually taken to the attic room in the rafters, but for once I was put on a table downstairs. The waiter in a wonderfully surly tone asked our order for drinks, then we were left alone for a while.

You are given a Dim Sum menu - they are not always on the table and sometimes you have to ask for them, you will get the menu with a side order of eye rolling. Then you have a piece of paper with numbers on and a pen. The numbers correspond with menu items, so you simply place the amount of the dish you want next to the number.



I went for the usual prawn and chive dumplings, prawn and mango deep fried dumplings etc. I make it a rule to try a dish I haven't had before when I visit this place. Last time I was with the lovely Mj from Lunch Quest: Edinburgh and we went for a tripe dish - we couldn't remember what tripe was!!! This time I tried the lotus paste in bread dumpling. This was not a good choice - it looked somewhat like a heavy duty glue inside bread. The taste was bitter and peanutty and stuck to the rim of your mouth.



One of my favourite Dim Sum dishes is Deep Fried Custard Buns. I LOVE them, and this is the only place I have found where you can get them. I have seen the custard bun itself, but never deep fried. I would recommend ending any meal you have here with this dish, as it is heaven - or hell depending on how you look at it, as it is swimming with grease.



When you have stuffed your face and realise you have another meal still left on the table, you grab the attention of the Waiter and ask for take out boxes - another eye rolling moment and surly lip curl - but they will bring you take away boxes with a bag, so you can pack up what is left and re-heat it the next day - joyous!



Each dish is around £2 - £3, and you can heat heartily for around £10-15 per person, but with leftovers for the next day!

This really is a Dim Sumlicious delight - and I urge all of you if out in Chinatown in the afternoon to try it and go to the Golden Pagoda (15 Gerrard St, Soho,London, W1V 6PD) - I challenge you to be brave and order carelessly and haphazardly from the menu - all my favourite dishes have been impulse orders.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely! Sounds like much better fun than our trip to Chop Chop! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen took me there last week and we really enjoyed it....

    ReplyDelete